Friday, February 27, 2009

Blog Improvements

I recently wrote about Why I Blog and have been working on how to achieve my goals. One of the great things about identifying goals is that it makes it so much easier to reach them when you know what they are. They provide a clear path of action. (A Focus Word covers some of this.) Goals catalyze results.

Some Recent Improvements
You may be happy with some of the recent improvements to the blog:
  1. Schnazzy new look and feel. I hope that you like the fresh, clean look and new organization.
    1. I tossed the pre-canned layout I was using, switched to something simpler, adjusted the colors, and added images to give it a fresher modern look.
    2. More functional sidebar - I added some additional content items to make it easier to find what you're looking for. All of these were based on requests. So please let me know if you'd like something new.
    3. New page icon - It is an enso. It is an expression of the moment. The end is the beginning is the end ...
  2. Subscribing is easier. New subscribe links for feed readers, and I added email subscriptions if you prefer that. I hope this helps.
  3. Prime content is highlighted. I added some reader favorites to give new readers something on the site, and I created a widget to show all of the MPOWs in one place. My guess in reader favorites has been from feedback that I've received so far. If you want to promote additional content, or recommend changes, please let me know.
  4. MPOWs all in one place. People seem to really like the new Mindfulness Practice of the Week service that I release every Monday. I've heard that people want to be able to refer back to them, so I created a widget to collect them on the sidebar.
  5. Star ratings. I added star ratings below posts. Now you can let me know what works and doesn't work without having to leave specific feedback. I am really keen on this. Please let me know which posts you like and which posts you do not like. Maybe I can even write a widget to show the top 5 on the side once enough feedback comes in.
  6. Improved content. I've heard that my posts are too long; they're practically essays. I'm trying to make a crisper point and respect your time. Sometimes I will want to treat some topics in greater depth, but for the most part I want to offer my posts in snack-size. Also, I'm adding images to most of the content to appeal to the visual nature of many readers. I'm focusing a lot on approachable, warm, emotive content vs. cold essays.
Looking for a New Name
Friends have pointed out that aphorism and egoism are pretty elitest words. I'm sorry. It is not my goal at all to discourage people from the site. I'm looking for a new name, a friendly, inviting, compassionate name. Something that is appealing and warm. Something that is easy to find and remember. I don't want it to come off as eliteist, nor dogmatic or authoritarian, nor woo-woo or frou-frou, nor flippant, nor overly precious. I'm trying to get it just right. I realize that a fully left-brained approach won't be satisfying, I want something that feels good. I realize that this site will never meet the needs of the whole world, but I want it to appeal to the type of people who already like the content here.

Along with the new name, I hope to find a domain to host this on, rather than a sub-domain of Blogspot. Please let me know if you have suggestions. My gratitude goes out to people who have already been helping and suggesting new names.

I Love Your Input
This blog is meant to be a helpful, sharing community, not my podium. Please let me know what I can do to make this more meaningful and useful for you. Your feedback and feedforward are critical to achieving that.

Please use the stars.
Please leave comments.
Please use my content in your sites, if you want to. (I appreciate back links and will reciprocate)
If you know how to reach me in person, please do that, too.

This post is dedicated to you, everyone who comes here to read and share.

Please leave your comments
  • What works?
  • What doesn't work?
  • Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment